Last week, on my last day of Managerial Accounting, something my professor said to me really stuck, which was, “When you return from Spring break, do not let yourself fall into a hole. I saw so many students last year with great potential return from Spring break, still in Spring break and they did not put the same effort into their classes as they did during winter term and their grades really suffered the consequences of it”. Now you may be saying to yourself “Well I am not a student, why do I care about this? What’s your point?”.
I am getting to it…
We had our first day over 60ºF that we have had since September last week and in fact, it even got all the way up to 74ºF! It was so nice being able to enjoy the sunshine, drive with the windows down, and barbecue outside for dinner, but I found it so hard to motivate myself to be productive and get things done (especially with finals being this week!!) because all I wanted to do was relax outside.
Just now while writing this post I realized I totally forgot about an online final I have for one of my classes that is due tonight! See what I am talking about?! I have been so busy all day enjoying the nice weather that I almost forgot what is most important in this moment!
Whether you are a student needing motivation to go to class and get your work done, trying to motivate yourself not to call in sick to work (even though you really need those extra hours!!) or a stay-at-home-mom/dad needing help to stay on top of housework, etc I have some tips for you to make the most out of everyday!
- Wake up early. This might seem like a no brainer, but the earlier you wake up, the more hours you have in your day, and the more time you will have to get everything on your to-do list done with time to spare for enjoying the things you love! I know it can be hard to wake up early, but when I do I feel so much more productive and happier throughout the day.
- Open your curtains
- Make your bed
- Spend 10-15 minutes before you get going on your day by enjoying a cup of coffee or tea and organizing your to-do list in a way that is the most efficient
- For example, for me, if I have 3 tasks I need to get done for my sticker shop, I will try to tackle those at the same time. If I have orders that need to be filled, customer service messages to respond to, and new items to be designed, I will usually work on designs while stickers are being print/cut so I am not sitting here twiddling my thumbs until my machines are done cutting.
2. Work Outside! Isn’t this counter productive though? Aren’t I supposed to be tackling all of my work before I take time to enjoy myself? No!! Of course not. In fact, this is one of my favorite things to do. Take your laptop outside and get your work done, or do your textbook reading at the park! For me this always makes it more enjoyable to get my work done and I am hitting two birds with one stone by being able to enjoy the gorgeous day while I check items off of my to-do list.
3. Take a Break. It is so important to relax your mind by taking a break from whatever you may doing so that you do not get burnt out. If you spend 2-3+ hours working you will be less motivated to get anything else done by that time because you will have been going at it for so long already. When working on homework I like to give myself a short 5-10 minute every 30 minutes to get up, walk around, drink some water or eat a light snack and go to the bathroom if I need to. If I am working on something else like orders, blog posts, etc then I like to give myself a 10-15 minute break every hour. DO NOT use your phone or electronics as a break though, these should be a reward or you can too easily find yourself in a social media black hole!
- TIP: Reward yourself with incentives! There is nothing more motivating than a reward to tell yourself that if you read X number of pages, finish X tasks, etc then you will reward yourself with your favorite snack, 10 minutes of social media, or 1 episode of your favorite sitcom! Whatever you like to enjoy.
4. Eat Healthy. Taking a break to eat a healthy lunch can help to energize you so you can keep going at it strong during the second half of the day. Some of my favorite healthy lunches are tuna sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches, lunch meat and fruit and yogurt, or vegetables and hummus or some other kind of dip. I don’t know about you guys but I always find that after eating a huge dinner or a lot of carbs I am ready to take a nap, so try to keep it light and low carb to keep from feeling sluggish! If you would like me to do a post on all of my favorite, healthy lunch ideas just let me know.
5. Hydrate. Not only is it good for you to keep hydrated in general, but it also helps you to stay energized. I personally love drinking water, but if you are someone who does not like the taste of it that much try adding cucumbers, lemons, or strawberries to it for some extra flavor. Plus these can have extra health benefits too! Cucumber water for example, can help lower blood pressure, supports healthy skin, and provides your body with antioxidants.
6. Remember Why. What is your reason for doing what you are? Do you need the money? The benefits? Are you wanting to grow your brand? Do you have a family to take care of? Helping yourself to remember why you are doing what you are doing is an easy way to keep yourself motivated. After all, who enjoys going to work at that 9-5 retail job at the mall just for the heck of it? I sure don’t, so I always have to remember myself that in two weeks I will see a paycheck that will make all of my hardwork worth it, and that is what keeps me going.
Whenever I am starting to feel overwhelmed from a seemingly never-ending to-do list I always try to take a minute to breathe, compose myself, and come back to these 6 tips to help me get as much as I can done and so I hope these tips help you make the most out of your longer spring days too!
Do you have any tips you think should be added to this list? I would love to hear them down below!
*All photos have been provided by Unsplash